Is there a Guitar VST that can do actually decent rhythm guitar?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I just read through all the replies, very interesting tips and discussions! I took a break from producing.

Has there been any new guitars released that are better at rhythm programming since 2018?

I'll check out OTS rock standard, it looks promising.

Electri6ity is huge library, I never thought about getting it cause it was from 2010 or so, I'll look up demos on youtube.

I heard shreddage 2 only samples powerchords 1 5 1 and isn't so good at rhythm guitar on another forum Not sure about Shreddage 3, there's alot of new guitar VSTS I don't know about I need to look up like Heavier7Strings, and Shreddage3.

Seems there's new amps that are better than Amplitube and Bias, like Neural DSP and stuff now.

UJAM?
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Ironically, I just got around to trying to get Riffendium (black friday bundle purchase!) going. Not intuitive to say the least, but when I (finally) get to hear some loops playing they do sound good. Obviously, loops and you are stuck a bit in that regard.

Honestly when I see how complex it can be to try to play guitar from a keyboard, with all the nuances and voicings, I think I might be better serviced to just practice my guitar(s)!

Stokely wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:10 am Ironically, I just got around to trying to get Riffendium (black friday bundle purchase!) going. Not intuitive to say the least, but when I (finally) get to hear some loops playing they do sound good. Obviously, loops and you are stuck a bit in that regard.

Honestly when I see how complex it can be to try to play guitar from a keyboard, with all the nuances and voicings, I think I might be better serviced to just practice my guitar(s)!
Yes, and with loops things become sterile and repetitive. UJAM works rather well (especially their bass, Royal), but however many gigabytes of download they have, it's still about playing the same patterns over and over again, with very little (any?) variation unless one adds it oneself.

That said, it's not so easy to play the guitar satisfactory. I not only played but also actually recorded some really basic stuff on G/D/C/EM and it sounded far from acceptable. Sync was off, too many strings got muffled, etc. I guess a combo of the best of both worlds could be a winner: let the player play something, then quantise and unmuffle some of it, while keeping the expression and variation, sort of like the percentage sliders of a vocal performance in Melodyne.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Rob Papen RG is now on sale. Is it worth it? Does anyone use it?
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

Kontakt has (had) a great rhythm guitar baked into it.(Akkord)

yzcoruhT wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:29 am Rob Papen RG is now on sale. Is it worth it? Does anyone use it?
Yes, it is part of the good solutions for me. It sounds ok but the main strength is that you can make it highly configurable
I use it with NI Guitar Rig 7 effects and it sounds great.

On the other good options but much more expansive is VPS Avenger and the Guitars extensions. They are a bit less customisable than RP RG but sound better to me.
Both are good in their own way.

For pure guitar emulation, Friktion by Reason Studio is an absolute must.

==> you can watch this track (broken gateway) starting at 0.34, you can hear Reason Friktion, to me it is pretty convincing.
https://open.spotify.com/track/4SILt5I4D81u4c0cRSd0t1
==> And here (rooftop) at 0.00 is VPS Avenger with Guitar Extension with a bit of Friktion on top of it.
https://open.spotify.com/track/553ZCSoppjqCUr5FOt96AF

I haven't ever had much problem with the OTS libraries for rhythm guitar. It's more of a matter of having an idea of exactly how things would be played on a guitar. Some things are more tricky than others and others take tweaking the library settings so that the dynamic range can cover what you want. There are also libraries that have fully performed chords and stuff (shreddage, scarves funk, etc) and they can do some things very nicely.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Hi

I have had real problems finding suitable guitar sounds for what is quite a basic need: Reggae chop's...
For such a style of music you just need a nice clean sound which you would expect is a given, but boy have I demoed a lot of stuff over the years with the most suitable stuff actually being VSTI's.
The ones I have used have all been discontinued: Many Guitar, ManyStation (had a nice soundset which included guitar sounds) and ReFX Slayer (which was OK).

There are others such as Sugar Bytes 'Guitarist', but for the life of me I could not get the thing working properly - AAS Strum, which I find to be, well, passable but just doesn't have much 'body' to it's sound - Rob Pappen RG for me is somewhat similar to 'Strum', it just doesn't have a particularly clean full bodied sound.

As someone pointed out earlier (some years ago!) perhaps learn the guitar!!!
Might sound funny, but that it what I have been doing for the last 2 years...

If you need just reggae chops, RMX2 some expansions have some nice ones. Of course those are loops, which limits a lot.

original flipper wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:17 pm Hi

I have had real problems finding suitable guitar sounds for what is quite a basic need: Reggae chop's...
For such a style of music you just need a nice clean sound which you would expect is a given, but boy have I demoed a lot of stuff over the years with the most suitable stuff actually being VSTI's.
The ones I have used have all been discontinued: Many Guitar, ManyStation (had a nice soundset which included guitar sounds) and ReFX Slayer (which was OK).

There are others such as Sugar Bytes 'Guitarist', but for the life of me I could not get the thing working properly - AAS Strum, which I find to be, well, passable but just doesn't have much 'body' to it's sound - Rob Pappen RG for me is somewhat similar to 'Strum', it just doesn't have a particularly clean full bodied sound.

As someone pointed out earlier (some years ago!) perhaps learn the guitar!!!
Might sound funny, but that it what I have been doing for the last 2 years...
You might want to check this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9LOkfz ... ayB2c3Q%3D

Return to “Instruments”