Reason scratch folder

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ridiculous really
The scratch folder is where temp files are stored and never deleted by itself .
On windows these can found in C\users\username\Appdata\local\Propellerhead Software\Reason\

I just did a simple test , I first deleted the scratch folder and loaded reason.
Dropped a sample of size 800Kb ( that's < 1Mb folks ) , the folder filled up 2.5mb of cache data .
Let's do some time stretching , ( by moving in and out of the scratch folder , updates to size are shown )
Time sretch to 1minute , scratch folder size remains the same , altough new files are created size 0kb
After closing reason , the folder size is now 40 mb , 1 minute of 16bit stereo audio at 44khz is normaly 10 MB .
So what's with the double amount of memory space and why two files with the exact same size of 19mb ?
And last but not least this content just adds up .
Rant over
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Your original sample is 16-bit, but Reason is undoubtedly processing it at a higher bit depth internally, which will be reflected in the cache size. Together with working in an unsaved song file and time stretching, that accounts for at least some of what you're seeing.

My understanding is that for each edit requiring re-rendering (time stretch, transpose, sample rate conversion, etc.) an offline render to the scratch disk will occur. Each render is based on the original audio saved in the song file and will not overwrite previous renders. The scratch disk is trimmed on launch to keep it under some limit (20-30gb iirc). It's also used for temporarily storing some other stuff like audio from unsaved songs.

yep that's true
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”