|Type / Tags||Reel-to-Reel Audio Tape WarmerExciter / Enhancer|
|Copy Protection||Online Activation (Challenge / Response)|
Magnetic is described as "a truly realistic 'Real to Real' audio tape warming effect plug-in that gives your audio tracks the exclusive vintage tape sound which your ears crave". This effect can inject sterile audio with the warmth and character of classic tube circuitry and analog tape saturation. The plug-in features pure analog reel-to-reel tape speeds, tape/tube saturation and tape color effects, as well as a dedicated vintage style EQ and a built in Boost mastering section. The result is a creamy, warm sound that Nomad Factory says can only be achieved by Magnetic.
Magnetic can be used in many different musical ways. Try using it on individual tracks to add subtle warmth and tape color to your drums or use it to create a filtered cassette AM-radio effect on a vocal. But that's not all... when used on the master bus, Magnetic can warm your entire mix and "boost" it up to broadcast level. It's just like having a 30+ year old reel-to-reel tape machine at your fingertips, without all the maintenance costs.
- REEL SPEED controls the speed of the virtual tape machine. Higher speeds give you more studio-quality fidelity; lower speeds sound more like a cassette tape. The DASH setting gives you the highest-fidelity of digital audio tape predominately used in the '80s and '90s.
- SATURATION gives different levels of tube and/or tape saturation effects. Recreates the warmth and character of classic tube circuitry and analog tape saturation.
- TAPE COLOR provides the highly sought-after sound of Natural, Vintage and Modern Tape Compression.
- LOWS controls the amount of low frequency equalization. Select the boost/cut frequency range with the Body, Warm, and Lush Settings.
- HIGHS control the amount of high frequency equalization. Select the boost/cut frequency range with the Detail, Focus and Brilliance Settings.
- BOOST switches on/off the built-in Mastering Limiter section. This incorporates multiple stages of limiting and a look-ahead brickwall limiter to deliver first-class peak reduction. Adjust the Gain and Ceiling Knobs to achieve High-Resolution Limiting.
- GAIN sets the threshold for the incoming signal. Higher settings result in a louder sound.
- CEILING sets the brickwall output level so that it limits all peaks above the number it is set to.
- VU METER shows the amount of limiting taken place when the Boost circuit is engaged.
- POWER bypasses the entire unit.
Reviewed By thejonsolo
December 9, 2013
It seems that Nomad has a serious desire to make me poor. I say that because their plugins tend to be some of the best on the market. Take Magnetic II for instance...
One thing that has bugged me since I left the comfort of an Otari MX 80 is the warmth I used to get when I recorded. Ok ok ok...there was some noise and movement in the recordings, but that is where the music got its richness. And the digital domain, no matter how good the emulation of analog gets, has a sterile feel that is hard to hurdle. Enter Magnetic II.
Emulating a number of different tape machines, this is a beast of an effect. I never thought of Tape Color or Saturation method when I was recording, but now even THAT is editable. This plugin not only emulations but warms and colors your mix in a non-obtrusive way. From one point of view it is transparent...don't worry about your mix and your highs and low...they are not affected negatively with this plug. From another view, dial up the highs or the lows to create an airy-ness that only comes with recording to tape.
There is also a limiting effect that is created with the Gain Boost and Out Ceiling that is warm and natural. While switching between tape machine types, the change is subtle but is pretty accurate. There is a snobbish aspect to this that I feel since I actually have used some of the original things this plugin emulates...and quite well. However, I have to admit I was a fan of Magneto (Steinberg) even though it was only an interpretation of generic tape recording. Even with Cubase 7.5 in hand with the new Magneto 2 plug, I find myself reaching ONLY for the Nomad Magnetic II plug to give my tracks that warmth and gel that I got in bigger studios in the early 90s.
The best part??? I don't have to fork out tons of money for tape! It gets a 9 only because I can't smell the tape machine heating up.Read more