Cherry Audio has announced the release of Voltage Modular, an innovative new modular synthesis platform designed from the outset to be "the best-sounding, most powerful, flexible, and easy to use virtual modular synthesizer available".
Voltage Modular is cross-platform for OS X and Windows, and supports AU, VST2, VST3, and Pro Tools AAX formats, as well as standalone operation. All plug-in formats can be used as both virtual instrument and effects plug-ins. User patches and cabinet files are freely cross-platform exchangeable.
Voltage Modular features:
- Workflow: Voltage Modular was designed from the ground up to address the shortcomings of other virtual modular synth instruments. Featuring six-way pop-up mults on all inputs and outputs, easy repositioning of modules or groups of modules, cables that can be moved and rerouted at all times, and control panels designed to be easy-to-read and operate with extensive visual feedback, including cable signal flow indicators, Voltage Modular offers a clean, polished, virtual modular interface like no other.
- Sound Quality: All audio processing in Voltage Modular uses 64-bit double precision math and all module processes are zero-latency and operate on individual samples for true modular performance. This translates to "fantastic sounding audio-rate frequency and amplitude modulation, oscillator sync, insane delay feedback, and more".
- Modules: In addition to "industry-standard" oscillator, filter, envelope generator, voltage-controlled amplifier, and utility modules, the Voltage Modular Core package features innovative modules for expanded creativity, including a polyphonic oscillator with fast and easy MIDI setup, CV and MIDI in and out modules for easy interfacing with other virtual instruments and external hardware synthesizers, the Formula module, which applies a wide array of mathematical equations to audio and control signals, and much more. The Misfit Audio Electro Drums package contains features 14 classic analog drum and percussion modules as well as a dedicated sequencer, combining to create a powerful and easy to program, self-contained vintage drum machine.
- Expandability: The innovative module browser allows users to purchase and automatically install modules and sound presets directly from within Voltage Modular for immediate expandability. The number of modules and cabinets contained in a patch is limited only by computer CPU performance.
- Developer Friendly: The exclusive Module Designer application lets software developers design and program custom modules with virtually no functionality limitations. Completed modules can be submitted to the Voltage Module Store, allowing programmers to sell approved modules directly to Voltage Modular users.
Cherry Audio say "Voltage Modular is far more than just a musical instrument; it's a complete and infinitely expandable modular platform. Third-party developers can build new modules, performing almost any audio, MIDI, or signal processing function. Module development is lightning fast, and all modules are inherently cross-platform."
The integrated Voltage Module Store offers an ever-expanding list of new modules. They offer PSPaudioware's Ultimate Modular Collection (normally $295), for a special introductory price of $99. These 15 powerful modules fall into two categories: classic effects modules based on their extensive experience in developing high-quality effects and processor plug-ins; and exciting, creative modules using algorithms from the flagship PSP N2O multi-effect plug-in. Every algorithm has been adapted, tailored, and expanded to take advantage of the possibilities offered by the modular format as well as Voltage Modular's flexibility.
"We at PSPaudioware really love the Voltage Modular system and couldn't recommend it more highly. We're deeply honored to have been the first external developer for Cherry Audio's spectacular system." says Antoni Ozynski, co-founder of PSPaudioware. "We hope that our users will love the Voltage Modular system – and our modules – as much as we do."
In addition to PSPaudioware's offerings, the Voltage Module Store features modules from Cherry Audio and other third-party developers, including the Additive Oscillator and Vocoder modules, the retro Misit Audio Digi Drums collection, preset suites from Granucon, and a wide selection of sounding filters, effects, and utilities.
For a limited time, customers can purchase the Voltage Core package (69 modules, regularly $150) plus the Misfit Audio Electro Drums package (15 modules, regularly $50), a total of 84 modules, for the special introductory price of $150. A free seven-day trial of Voltage Core is also available.