Sound of the 80s

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

This thread title continues to give me a chuckle every time it floats to the top.
As I remember, the true sound of the 80's was multiple hair spray cans hissing with a group of their companions snorting illegal substances off of porcelain fixtures! (with a tiled reverb!)

I, for one, am glad we don't hear those sounds anymore! :hihi:

Ok OP here if you really want the sounds of the 80s then pick this up.

36 INSTRUMENTS, 80+ DRUM MACHINES, OVER 5,000 PRESETS
SAMPLE-BASED INSTRUMENTS FOR AUTHENTIC HARDWARE SOUND
AN 80% SAVINGS ($2,400+ IF PURCHASED SEPARATELY)

http://www.uvi.net/en/vintage-corner/vintage-vault.html

Sound Demo
http://soundcloud.com/uvi-official/sets ... ult-bestof

Yes its a bit Expensive at $500, but uh you get like serious 80s overkill. It's sample based so it's all sounds directly from the original hardware synthesizers.

Btw I'm not involved with UVI nor own any of their products. I just think that for anyone wanting to make 80s style stuff that this would probably be one of the better ways to go about it.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

The 80s sounded quite diversely, there was a huge difference between, say, 82 and 88, or between American and British.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The 80s sounded quite diversely, there was a huge difference between, say, 82 and 88, or between American and British.
Agreed. Not to mention the many genres that were spawning from all those different factors.

fluffy_little_something wrote:The 80s sounded quite diversely, there was a huge difference between, say, 82 and 88, or between American and British.
How about... say... Skinny Puppy vs Bananarama :hihi:

Yamaha DX7, aka the instrument A-ha used for "Take On Me." It doesn't get more vintage 80s than that! :tu:

my favorite light on cpu 80's sounding synth picks are:

OBXD
Charlatan
Synth1
FM7
Pro-53
TAL Elektro
Alpha 3.3
PlasiCZ
PG8X
minimoogV
oddity
M1
MS20
Polysix
PPG Wave 2.2
Steinberg A1
Steinberg Model-E
Tau 303
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

/\ you forgot SQ8L, essential 80's-ness.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:/\ you forgot SQ8L, essential 80's-ness.
ahhhh yes! but i own a REAL ensoniq transwave synth. so SQ8L doesn't see much action in my music lab :cry:

AudioPhile2 wrote:Yamaha DX7, aka the instrument A-ha used for "Take On Me." It doesn't get more vintage 80s than that! :tu:
all you really need to do 80's is

a Linn-1
a simmons SDS-V
a dx7
a d50
an M1
a minimoog
an obxa

and alot of cowbell!!!!!

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but Dexed (a DX7 VST/AU emulator + DX7 realtime editor, Patch/Cart Loader and Saver) is by far the best DX7 emulation I've ever heard. I've A/B'ed the Dexed plugin to my real DX7 and some of the patches have no difference at all. Oh yeah, best thing about this is it's free!

It works great as a stand along plugin and by far the best DX7 editor I've ever used. The ability to use it in your DAW as a plugin controlling a real DX7 is just so tits to me! Highly recommended.

Other vst's/au's I go for in my Synthwave/Outrun productions are TAL - U-No Chorus (makes several appearances in all of my tracks) and U-HE Satin for tape emulation. Really warms up whatever you run through it.

And what Layzer said "alot of cowbell!!!"

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2026

layzer wrote:
AudioPhile2 wrote:Yamaha DX7, aka the instrument A-ha used for "Take On Me." It doesn't get more vintage 80s than that! :tu:

a Linn-1
a simmons SDS-V
a dx7
a d50
an M1
a minimoog
an obxa

and alot of cowbell!!!!!
Add a Jupiter 8 and a TR808 to that...

The other day I was browsing through presets in SuperWave Tarkus.

Got to "Sawnders working" and turned off the gate sequence, suddenly I had the lead sound for "Don't Go" by Yazoo :love:

G C B A E(-1)
G C B A E(+1)

beely wrote:
layzer wrote:

a Linn-1
a simmons SDS-V
a dx7
a d50
an M1
a minimoog
an obxa

and alot of cowbell!!!!!
Add a Jupiter 8 and a TR808 to that...
So yeah, like these:

VSDSX
M1
OBXD
Dexed

Numanoid wrote:The other day I was browsing through presets in SuperWave Tarkus.

Got to "Sawnders working" and turned off the gate sequence, suddenly I had the lead sound for "Don't Go" by Yazoo :love:

G C B A E(-1)
G C B A E(+1)
Just tried that preset, indeed sounds pretty similar :) Not so sure about your notes, though, haven't heard that song in ages 8)

Return to “Instruments”