Akai releases VIP (Virtual Instrument Player) Smart Keyboard software 3.0 - now supporting all MIDI Controllers
Akai Professional, creator of Virtual Instrument Player (VIP) software — the software that enables musicians to catalog, control and map their entire VST instrument and effect library directly from their keyboard — has announced the release of VIP 3.0, a pivotal update opening the platform to any MIDI controller alongside the VIP Native Plugin Map Standard that allows 3rd party virtual instrument and effect developers to produce their own plugin maps for enhanced VIP integration.
Akai say the combination of VIP 3.0 and a compliant controller maximizes workflow and ensures a natural, creative playing experience that fuses the tactile feel of hardware with the processing capability of virtual Instruments.
With VIP 3.0, users can enhance the creative capability of any standard MIDI over USB controller thanks to all-new MIDI Learn functionality. Now artists can seamlessly custom map the controls of their MIDI controller (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP's parameters, for effortless integration and the enhanced workflow, attributes that owners of the Akai Professional Advance Series, M-Audio's CTRL49 and the Alesis VX49 have long enjoyed.
VIP 3.0 is also available for the first time ever as a no-charge complimentary upgrade (a $99.99 value) to owners of the following models:
- MPK2 Series.
- MPK Mini Series.
- Code Series.
- Oxygen MK IV Series.
- Axiom AIR Mini 32.
Customers owning these keyboards can download VIP in their user accounts at M-Audio and Akai Pro.
In addition, VIP 3.0 is available to 3rd-party keyboards for the first time, for an introductory $99.99 access fee available at Plugin Boutique or Plugivery Dealers.
Other notable new features include Pad Chord Progressions and Key Control processors – MIDI centric performance tools, armed with comprehensive articulation controls, that provide the ideal platform to explore new musical possibilities by harmonizing root notes in real-time and playing chord progressions on pads (using either the vast factory library or the user's own fully customizable motifs).
VIP 3.0 Highlights:
- Plays virtually every VST-compatible plugin and effects unit.
- Operates as a standalone virtual instrument and effects player or as a plugin within any AU, VST or AAX compatible DAW.
- Organizes user's plugin collection with intuitive browsing by plugin, artist collection, instrument type, timbre and more.
- Includes an Effects Browser allowing users to browse effects by type and audition across multiple plugins with a single click.
- Access, edit and mix up to 8 virtual instruments at one time in a Multi.
- Expanded Multi mixer includes insert effects, send effects, bus tracks and a master output channel strip for total routing control.
- Effects Stacks combine multiple effects into re-usable patches, accessible in the patch list for easy selection and auditioning.
- NEW | VIPMS – The VIP Native Plugin Map Standard allows 3rd party virtual instrument and effect developers to produce their own plugin maps for enhanced VIP integration and opening their plugins to the superior workflow offered by VIP.
- NEW | MIDI Learn functionality seamlessly maps the controls of any VIP-compatible keyboard (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP's parameters with a ever-growing library of MIDI controller mappings for Akai and M-Audio controller keyboards included.
- NEW | Pad Chord Progressions - play factory or user defined chord progressions using a VIP-enabled keyboard controller's pads.
- NEW | Key Control modes: play scales, harmonized chords or chord progressions from a VIP keyboard or MIDI keyboard.