Impact Soundworks releases Kageyama Taikos Sample Library for Kontakt
Impact Soundworks has released Kageyama Taikos, a sample library devoted exclusively to traditional Japanese drums, featuring eight distinct instruments performed by master percussionist and two-time national Odaiko champion Isaku Kageyama.
Kageyama Taikos features these traditional Japanese drums as solo instruments, recorded up-close in an intimate studio space. The resulting sound is expressive, versatile and usable in a wide range of musical styles. Every instrument has been recorded in great depth, spanning many articulations, dynamics, and variations.
Library producer Andrew Aversa said:
The natural sound of the Japanese taiko is powerful and emotional, and I'm really glad to give it the spotlight it deserves. By working with a true master like Isaku, we can present the true, authentic sound of these beautiful instruments as no one has before.
- Chudaiko: 18-inch mid-sized drum; crisp edge, rich resonant center.
- Odaiko: 32-inch large drum; deep, booming sound with a dry edge, rich central wash.
- Shime-Daiko: "Tightened" drum, higher register to soar over other percussion;
- Okedo (1.5 and 1.4): "Barrel" drum; heavy attack and clear definition.
- Atarigane (Lo and Hi): Played with a mallet; clear, metallic sound.
- Hyoshigi: Wood blocks; full, resonant sound.
The library is presented with three distinct mic positions and Impact Soundworks' signature Console mixer and effects rack, allowing composers to sculpt the taiko sound from subtle, to bombastic, to heavily modulated.
Price: $99 at the Impact Soundworks store.
YouTube walkthrough: YouTube.com/watch?v=2a-VgceMlKA