After working with this synth a couple of weeks all day long and creating a really cool soundset that I want to share with you guys, I have a veredict:
Synthmaster ONE is UBER SUPERB HYPER MEGA SWAG LIT BRUH!
It's a really powerful tool to create everything you want, from dubstep wubs to cinematic pads, I can even make drums here, sounds so warm and true analog, filters are precious, you can add your own wavetables, it's like sylenth1 on steroids! outstanding quality, very little CPU usage, I'm in love with Synthmaster ONE.
Now let's talk about what I hate about Synthmaster ONE, the annoying bugs that are ruining my life, I wish I could upload videos and presets here to show you how bad it behaves but let's make it quick so maybe our friends on KV331 Audio fix those glitches in the next version:
1. When you apply distortion, the mod envelope linked to the filter has a strange behavior, when you apply attack 0 mid decay, sustain 0 and release 0 and the vol envelope with attack 0 decay full sustain full release 0, it sounds like if you have sustain activated but in a low volume, never seen something like that even in free rubbish synths made with synthedit. The filter is supposed to cut all.
2. When you make a mono lead and you select the slide option in the glide section, there's a weird trasition from one note to other, for example, you play C after E a couple of times and after you are playing C suddenly you hear E...
3. Sometimes the sequencer doesn't work, you activate it and draw some patters but it does nothing.
4. I've designed a cool guitar preset that sounds like the depeche mode clean guitar and it overloads the CPU to 99%
5. Knobs behaves crazy when you move your mouse cursor 4 inches away aproximately
6. When you link some controllers to the matrix mod, you can get some pop up errors.
7. When I make a kickdrum (mono, obviously) and I play some fast notes an unknow click sounds very high, I don't know what it causes that sound.
8. Sometimes the CPU load goes from 5 to 99 using just one instance of synthmaster one and I have a high spec computer.
9. Where are the Online Presets? you can upload presets to the server but the synth has not that option like Synthmaster 2
10. Sometimes the patches are out of tune, even the patches you create from init preset. It's unbelievable!
Overall I think this synth really worth your money and I really hope the KV331 Audio Team can work on those flaws as soon as possible so this could be a serious competitor to the most acclaimed wavetable synth at the moment.
Synthmaster One is a true wavetable synthesizer with wavescanning. You can also load your own waveforms and wavetables (you need an external program like Audioterm to create them)
2 independent ocillators (waveform or wavetable) with one sub-oscillator each (waveform only), 2 multi-mode filters in serial, parallel or split (each oscillator + sub has his own filter).
An effects rack, arpeggiator, 2 LFOs, 4 enveloppes, and an easy dag-and-drop modular modulation matrix. This synth is complete, very versatile and very good sounding.
Compared to Serum, the interface and ergonomy is less intuitive and clear (the waveform display is very small), but the sound is warmer. In my opinion, the Synthmaster One sound with the Serum interface will be the perfect wavetable synth .
If you use settings to change the user theme, the option to change it back in settings sometimes disappear. Well, you can right click other places in the user interface to change the theme, but it should work in settings too.
Many default patches are not in tune, making it difficult to use with other instruments - especially if you are a new user who haven't learned controlling the synt yet, it can be difficult to re-tune those patches. Those patches should be in tune from the start. It gives a bad impression of a hurried product released to early - I use the synt in my setups less because of this.
I hope the fix the above issues soon, as it could become a good synt.
One special thing I notice about this synthesizer is that it often sounds a little distorted. Like something is overdriven somewhere in the signal chain inside SynthMaster One. And that is on many sounds not even using the distortion effect. It might be to make it sound special (big, wide, etc.), but now when I hear it I cant stop hearing it. I never overdrive my signal chain, so I know it is not due to that. Of cause it is about how the patches are made (and how they are passed on between the modules in the software), but I dont hear this distortion on other synths, so it should be checked out.
I must say though, there are also times when this synthesizer sounds fantastic. So to the price, it is surely worth it ;-)