Best FREE VST-Instruments suitable for PopRock (and Lovesong-) composing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Refering to sfd's strange comparision...let the picture below speaks for itself...->

@sfd

and sfd, it is not my intention to discredit you in any form (I love sweden+Roxette+Abba+Ace of Base+swedish blonde girls etc. <- enough prove?), if this is YOUR opinion, then I respect it, just to clarify this. :oops: :lol: :love:

.. now let's focus again on the basic purpose of this thread, enough about unserious "Grandpa poo vsti stuff" & questionable pencil-plugin comparisions! :-) :hihi:
Waiting for more suggestions..

@Black Winny: Thx for the link & feedback btw! :phones:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=518882&start=45@Gabriel_West

Don't worry. The reason why you find it strange is perfectly clear. :-)

Take it with humor & everything is fine. 8) :)

[update 6] Lots of decent VST's added now..check out page 1 to figure! ... as additional information:..

Here's a useful list, for 80's and/or 90's PopRock Style composers (See Download-Link to developer webpages on blue font entrys) ->

TOP30 Legendary 80's (and 90's) hardware Synths and their best Emulation VSTi's (atm.) commercial stuff + free stuff ->

1. Roland JV-1080 <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud for one year?!
2. Roland Juno 106 Orig. <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud...?!
3. Roland Jupiter 8 Orig. <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud...?!
4. Roland TR-909 Orig. <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud...?!
5. Korg M1 Orig. (Commercial / you can buy it from Korg's website for 49$)
6. Korg Wavestation Orig. (Commercial / get it from Korg's website for 49$)
7. Roland SH-101 Orig. <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud...?!
8. Roland D-50 Orig. <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud...?!
9. Roland Jupiter 8 Emu = Arturia Jupiter 8V (Best commercial altern. to Rolands Original / 99€)
10. Roland Juno 106 Emu. = Poly 2106 (Free)
11. Roland JX-8P Emu. = PG-8X (free) / < Orig.Bank Presets >
12. Roland TR-909 Emu. = Drumazon (Best commercial altern. to Rolands Original / 99€)
13. Roland TR-909 Emu. = NTONYX Soundfontbank + SFZ Soundfontplayer (free)
14. Roland TR-808 Orig. <- The only way to get it, is a pay membership on Roland's Cloud...?!
15. Roland SH-101 Emulation = TAL Bassline (Free)
16. Moog Minimoog Model D Emulation = Steinberg Model E (Free)
17. Yamaha DX7 = Dexed (free) / emulates "Yamaha TX81Z Lately Bass"
18. Moog Minimoog = MinimogueVA & Model Mini (free)
19. Moog Prodigy = Model Pro & Prodigious (free)
20. Roland Juno 60 = Tyrell Nexus 6 & TAL-U-No-62 (free)
21. Oberheim OB-X = OBXD (still free?)
22. Roland SH-101 Emu. = LuSH-101 (Best commercial altern. to Rolands Original / Bass 149€)
23. Roland SH-101 Emu. = TAL-Bassline-101 (Commercial altern. to Rolands Original / Bass 60$)
24. Moog Minimoog V = Arturia Mini V (149€)
25. Yamaha CS-80 Emu. = Arturia CS-80V (99€)
26. Roland TR-808 Emu = Nepheton (Best commercial altern. to Rolands Original / Drum M. 99€)
.. (more are coming soon)

For what they were mainly used: 1=Strings/Pads (Ex.: TombRaider1 PSX Soundtrack made with), 2=Pads, 3=Strings, 4=Drums, 5=E-Piano/Organ, 6=Pads, 7=Bass, 8=Strings/Pads, 9=Strings, 10=Pads, 11=Strings, 12=Drums, 13=Drums, 14=Drums, 15=Bass, 16=Bass, 17=Bass, 18=Synth Pads, 19=Strings/Pads, 20=Strings/Pads, 21=Pads, 22=Bass, 23=Bass, 24=Pads/Strings, 25=Bass+?, 26=Drums

Honorable mentions:
Korg Mono/Poly = Mono/Fury (free), Roland TR-909 = DR-910 (free), Korg PS-3100-3300 = FB 3100-3300 (free), Roland Alpha Juno = Phutura (free), Ensoniq SQ-80 = SQ8L (free), Clavia Nord Lead 2 = Synth1 (free), Roland JP-8000 = Super-7 (free), ARP 2600= Arppe2600VA (free), Moog Taurus = Taurus (free), Moog Micromoog = Micromoon (free), Moog Concertmate MG-1 = Gigmate (free), Oberheim OB-X Series = OP-X Free, ARP Odyssey = ODsay (free), KORG Delta String Machine DL-50 = Nabla (free), ARP Solina String Ensemble = Esline (free), Mellotron M400S = Redtron Se (free), Roland TB-303 = Venom VB-303 (free)

*Link to Rolandcloud Website -> https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/legendary

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the TOP5 most underestimated free VSTi's (according to my opinion) ->

1. NTONYX Soundfontbank + SFZ Soundfontplayer (For TR-909 Drums, Power Drums, Percussion & Bass)
2. EP-Station + Top40 Ballad Preset (E-Piano + Vocal Simulation)
3. Poly 2106 + Carpet Pad Magic Preset <- Best free Juno 106 Emulation! (For Synth Strings + Pads)
4. Orpheus Strings + Cinema Str. & Dark Str. Presets (For Synth Strings) <- Emulation of Solina ARP String Ensemble
5. EP 2008 (E-Piano)
5b. Church Organ 2nd (Extremely realistic sounding Church Organ!) <- Also a good choice for intros in eurodance Tracks like United by Prince Ital feat. marky Mark, or It's a rainy day by ICE MC!

All of these 6 plugins are really worth a try, my recommandation to people that are looking for free clean quality sound VSTi gems. :-)
Last edited by Gabriel_West on Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Can we have links to these please

@surreal: Done, See Download-Links on blue font entrys. (linked to official developer webpages download sites or most thrusted download websites, you can check the url in your status bar below to let the url link appear first by holding cursor over blue labeled entrys)

Hello !

Ha Ha! One more time, despite the similarities of their names, Orpheus is NOT an emulation of the E-mu Morpheus!

Orpheus is a string-synth.

E-mu Morpheus was not at all a string-synth ! E-mu Morpheus was a digital rack synthesizer, produced in 1993, where each patch was made from two single-cycle samples with the ability to morph between these two samples, all these samples being chosen in a ROM which contained 242 single-cycle samples structured in wavetables, and the sounds outed from these oscillators being then filtered by a huge collection of 197 pre-calculated filters (the Z-PLANE synthesis technique created by E-MU), combinations of 20 comb equalizers with variable bandwidth parameters:

Then after that, a special morphing function interpolates 3 parameters of 2 selected filter models simply using the modulation wheel. All that... was followed with up to 28 successive effects. And the synthesizer was even multitimbral. And that huge ability to morph among many sounds together is the reason why this totally unique synth was named Morpheus. This incredible synth was one of the most complex digital synths ever, made in 1993.

Orpheus, made by our French friend Benoit, has absolutely nothing to do with this huge unique synth which was one of the most complex digital synths ever. Orpheus is simply a plugin inspired by some of the common analog synths which were also able to be used as string-machines, nothing else ! And if you browse Benoit's collection of plugins (here the synths and here the effects) you will understand that they, almost all, have a name which is directly derived from the Greek, Roman and Aegyptian mythologies. And Orpheus is, as almost all the others, a character of the Greek mythology. He also made plugins named Adonis, Anubis, Artemis, Ceres, Dionysos, Horus, Io, Kronos, Nibiru, Osiris, Phobos, Pluton, Selena, Vesta, etc.

E-Mu Morpheus is a very special synth, totally digital and extremely complex, using a totally unique type of synthesis based on single-cycle samples structured in wavetables and followed by 197 pre-calculated filters with very complex algorithms, with a bi-timbrality and with the ability to morph between two sets. It is the synth which used probably the most complex type of digital synthesis ever created. It is not at all a string-synth nor an old type of analog synth!

Benoit's Orpheus is the total opposite, it is nothing else than a standard analog 70s synth which is also able to reproduce the sounds of the famous 70s-80s string-machines as are all the string-synths plugins.

Despite the similarity of their names, they have absolutely not the least relation between them.
:party:

Be sure : we know very well Benoit at the French Audiofanzine forum.
:hug:

One last clarification: The synth that Benoit named Kronos (one of his very first plugins) is obviously not an emulation of the Korg Kronos either, just as Orpheus is not an emulation of the E-Mu Morpheus.
:D

Cheers !
Jacques
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

@BlackWinny: Apologize for being wrong there, it is now corrected, respective, removed from the appriopriate list. Not only their simular names confused me, :) also the fact, that some of Benoits Synth String presets sound VERY simular to some sounds, which were demonstrated in the previously mentioned demonstration video about E-mu Morpheus Z-Plane, especially in terms to their timbre. Apparently only coincidentally.. Thx, for correcting me on that mistake, and your extensive information about E-Mu Morpheus technical specifications, Black Winny, :tu: really apreciate that. :-)
[edit: Btw, Wonder if this sample set of morpheus by JRR, called "E-mu Orpheus Z-Plane" (no wrong spelling, exactly that way without the "M" of Morpheus = Orpheus), sounds close enough to the real machine, check it out here] -> https://www.jrrshop.com/jrr-sounds-orph ... collection

Hello !

JRR Sounds Orpheus Z-Plane Collection being a wide collection of samples directly taken from the original Morpheus Z-Plane I think that all the sampleset sounds perfect to give the impression that the original hardware is heard, at least in a mix. Incidentally you'll note that JRR does also the confusion between Orpheus and Morpheus. :hihi:

Now... it is just a (very wide, indeed) sampleset. So I would not name it an emulation, as all the samplesets, given that you can't make the million of different things and sweeps (and above all, the morphs) that were possible with the original synth. And it was the specialty of this synth, notably in awesome pads.

But yes, if I were you I would add it to you list, as for a mix it is probably currently the best product to reproduce quite a lot of the original sounds of the hardware... but being aware that it will be without the morphs.

All the products from JRR are always excellent products, by the way (I like a lot his SQ-80 drums, in particular, I just add a simple three-channel equalizer in downstream to enhance a bit the low frequencies)
:tu:

If you want to add samplesets, there are lots of good samplesets for many formats in the catalog of Digital Sound Factory. Many KVR members have the impression that I hate the samples, but it is false. I prefer to use a true emulation (with true synthesis) when it is possible, but when it is not possible then I don't refuse to use samples (when they are of good enough quality), and for example I have (and use) 16 samplesets from Digital Sound Factory... and also 18 samplesets from PrecisionSound and I use a lot Cakewalk Rapture with its wonderful synthesis but also with all its huge collection of samplesets coming from their previous product Dimension Pro (I have them all).

I even suggest you to make a special section showing a list of samplesets of synths, electric organs, pianos and electric pianos, old drum kits (all things used in pop-rock music) totally unfindable in true synthesis. I bet that you will find real treasures, at least in these two shops above.

Just a point : almost all these things are cheapware, not freeware. So we are a bit outside the focus of the thread as it was mentioned in the thread title.
:wink:
Last edited by BlackWinny on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

About OBXD, you added a question mark about its state as freeware.

I confirm that it is still freeware and will always remain freeware.

OB-Xd has been developed and is distributed on license GPL. It means, within other things, that EVERY new project based on that project MUST be made with the same license GPL. One of the points in the license GPL is that a product (and all its derivatives) MUST be open-source, published with the wholeness of the source-code and released for free if the initial project is free (and it was the case, 2DAT published it on GPL and for free). There may be small optional, discretionary fees asked exclusively for the services related to the distribution, the cost of some services (the rental of servers, the annual cost of a domain, the rental of a repository) to the exclusion of any other fee or of any benefit.

So, any continuation or derivative of OB-Xd MUST be open-source, MUST be published with the wholeness of the sources, MUST be provided with a copy of the license GPL, and MUST be free and remain free forever, the initial project having been released on GPL and for free. A mentioned price must be shown exclusively as a suggestion of optional, discretionary donation.

There can’t be any benefit on the activity around a product licensed on GPL.

OB-Xd is free and is downloaded for free on DiscoDSP's website. The button "Purchase" which is beside the button "Download" is wrongly labeled, it should be labeled "Donation". And there is no need to click it to get the download. And once downloaded and installed the plugin is fully functional and forever as any other freeware.

For more information:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

Gabriel, another emulation that you could add to your list, this emulation of the Moog Voyager:
Viking Synthesizer from BlamSoft

It is :
(the pages may be a bit long to open) And as you will see on the four pages, it has been used for a KVR One Synth Challenge.

There is a PDF User Manual.

There are tutorial pages.
For VK-1: For VK-2:
I knew it, but never tried it, and then I forgot it. I just re-discovered it when surfing on the web. I'm going to try it. And you all have everything here to try it too.

Here are some demos:
https://soundcloud.com/blamsoft/sets/viking-demos

And the works made for the KVR OSC#107 One Synth Challenge (absolutely everything made with the synth and simply a few additional effects:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... e-107-vk-1
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

There is also another Moog emulation that I love a lot, and this one I use it very often. It is LittleOne, from Xhun Audio. It is an excellent emulation of the Moog Little Phatty.

It is compatible:
  • Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10 / 32-bit or 64-bit VST2, VST3 Host.
  • macOS (OSX) 10.7 or above, 64-bit VST2, VST3, AU Host.
The protection is simply a key file.

At the price of €69 it is a great, great, great value for the money.

And there are currently 9 additional soundsets made for it, including one from the famous sound designer Daniel Stawczyk.

BlackWinny wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm Gabriel, another emulation that you could add to your list, this emulation of the Moog Minimoog Voyager:
Viking is a great Voyager emu that I use myself. Although it can certainly take the place of a mini in your music (it does for me), it certainly is NOT a minimoog emu. Moog Voyager and the MiniMoog are two very different instruments :wink:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:10 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm Gabriel, another emulation that you could add to your list, this emulation of the Moog Minimoog Voyager:
Viking is a great Voyager emu that I use myself. Although it can certainly take the place of a mini in your music (it does for me), it certainly is NOT a minimoog emu. Moog Voyager and the MiniMoog are two very different instruments :wink:
Exact.
I was probably the mind elsewhere when I wrote it.

Corrected.
:tu:

Updated -> See Page1 :wink:

Return to “Instruments”