Best FREE VST-Instruments suitable for PopRock (and Lovesong-) composing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

You can also add Ticky Clav 2, from 2getheraudio
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

In the collection of effects, I would add Blue Cat's Freeware Pack. All the download links are in the rightmost column.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

With popRock works and love songs in mind and in the freeware world:

I would add also Stigma, Kern, The Deputy Mark II, Mono/Fury, Nabla... and also the effects that Björn now makes in addition (a frequency shifter, a delay, a phaser... maybe very soon a flanger ?)

I would add also TAL-Reverb 4, TAL-Chorus LX, TAL-NoiseMaker.

Even in love songs the dynamics (notably a compressor, a limiter, and a good efficient EQ) has its importance. I would add the Blue Cat's Freeware Pack seen above, but I would also suggest for example TDR Kotelnikov, TDR Nova, TDR VOS SlickEQ because they are twice performant and simple to use.

I could also suggest, for effects but also for the dynamics management, the excellent freeware plugins from Voxengo: AnSpec, MSED, Stereo Touch, SPAN, Marvel GEQ, Overtone GEQ, OldSkoolVerb, Boogex and Tube Amp (these last two would be very useful for the guitars).

For drums I would add the excellent MT Power Drum Kit 2 from Manda Audio, unfortunately totally unknown because the developer doesn't make any promotion despite its great quality and versatility.

A quite complete setup (except the drums) for pop-rock and love songs would be also the plugins from AcidDose (the synth Xhip and all the effects (and dynamics tools) which can also be used with any other instrument).

About Revitar2 cited in the OP, it becomes hard to find now. It is an open source project, but nobody maintains it currently. Fortunately I have all the files (not only the installation file but really all the files) and I distribute it (full) here since 2015.

For guitars I would add also all these excellent lineups: from AXP, from Nick Crow, from EXE Consulting.

All these things having in mind specifically love songs and pop-rock (70's-80's-90's) works, and without forgetting that the OP asked for FREE tools. And all these things I have cited in this thread are 64-bit as well as 32-bit (and almost everything being available not only for Windows but also for OSX).
:)
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thx so much, for all your decent suggestions BlackWinny, definitely, lots of your mentioned plugins can make it into my next update-list. <- [coming soon]

You're welcome !

Best of Free LoveSongVST's List updated now !!! (4th Update) -> See Page1
Last edited by Gabriel_West on Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Compressor:
Tokyo Dawn Labs Kotelnikov
https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

Best of Free LoveSongVST's List updated now !!! (5th Update) -> See Page1

Ragnarok still not on the list :?
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:19 pm Ragnarok still not on the list :?
I agree, Ragnarok deserves to be in the list, because 80's PopRock is wholeheartedly its domain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBILSyIyEFA

It is really weird to refuse to add Ragnarok to the list.

Yes Ragnarök should be on this list
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It's like asking Which pencil, typewriter or word processor is best for writing love stories.

My favorite for writing love stories is Libra Office. But for a fantasy adventure I prefer using a Linton pencil. For anyone who'd like to write an erotic story I'd recommend a red lipstick from Lancome. Or a brown lipstick if you're into the more perv-y stuff.

For those who would look for a much more comprehensive list, remember the huge list I made a few years ago and that I keep on maintaining: There are probably good gems that I have missed among the new products since 2014, so don't hesitate to send me your suggestions, either in that old thread either by PMs.
:)

You guys totally convinced me!!! Ragnarok now have been added on the list. (How could I miss such an awesome VSTi gem, my bad)

@crimsonwarlock or Black Winny: Which bank/preset have been used in the video above? (That Pad/Strings sound is absolutely brilliant & lovely as it most likely would fit perfect in your tracks when creating feelful parts for moments of relaxation)

@BlackWinny: Nice list, but with all respect, keep in mind, your plugin-list you've shown there, includes a mix of commercial & free plugins, in contrast to my list, that just focuses on FREE plugins only, suiting for LoveSongs/PopRock (+ sorted in categorys of common instruments) and "Out of the box" plugins, for what composers can make quick use of great sounding patches/presets, instead of tweaking their sounds manually on and on until they finally got their satisfying sounds by wasting hours and hours of their precious time. That's why I'm so grateful that there are Tweakers around, who save my time. :D Btw: Black Winny, you've also missed an absolutely MUST gem: ..

---> "POLY 2106" by Synthescience (Best Free Emulation by far of ROLAND JUNO 106 !!!) :-)

Check out it's Defaultbank Preset "Carpet Pad Magic" for 4voices-Strings/Pad sounds on chords and you'll agree with me. About Orpheus Strings by Serrano -> Yes I agree, that at least here in this case, it seems to be more a 'matter of our personal taste'. <- Wasn't the idea to emulate the famous "E-mu Morpheus Z-Plane Synthesizer" Hardware with "Orpheus"? At least I haven't found yet any other FREE stuff that sounds closer to that machine. (Note, in old Playstation1 Games such as TombRaider, you hear that kind of synth string sounds a lot)

---> E-mu Morpheus Z-Plane Hardware demonstration ->
-
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T3HpT8pFo

After listening to that, I was asking myself, why not using such a wonderful instrument for Ballads & Lovesongs when the texture of the sounds is so brilliantly producing enormous relaxing effects?

@Crimsonwarlock: My Apologize to you for not adding it earlier, you totally deserve that spot in my list. :D (You can blame me, that I haven't doublechecked it enough on my testing attempt about 2 years ago, obviously, it wasn't carefully enough) That's why the last sentence in this poste now credits you guys with some ad, that you plugin-developers really deserve: ..

"Full Bucket Music makes GREAT QUALITY PLUGINS indeed!!!"

Return to “Instruments”