Deskew Technologies has updated Gig Performer, the cross-platform plugin host for live performing musicians, to version 3.6.
Unlike a traditional DAW, Gig Performer is intended for use on stage, an environment where musicians need instant glitch free access to all their sounds in real time for an entire show, not just a single song.
Gig Performer 3.6 is mostly a maintenance release, though it does have a few new features:
- You can now choose MIDI devices that should not be opened by Gig Performer.
This is mostly important for Windows users where many MIDI drivers do not allow multiple applications to open the same MIDI port simultaneously, thereby preventing a plugin from being able to open a MIDI port to communicate with proprietary hardware.
- Gig Performer uses the new DAMAR licensing system. The change was necessary due to the imminent demise of the system previously in use. Users of earlier versions of Gig Performer will need to reactivate GP 3.6 using their existing GP 3.x license.
- Clicking on the virtual keyboard of a MIDIOut block now sends out MIDI note events.
- Gig Performer 3.6 for OS X is notarized for and supported on Catalina (OS X 10.15). However, you will still want to make sure that the plugins you use are also supported on Catalina. Be aware that 32-bit plugins will no longer work, even with the use of bridging software.
Other changes and fixes:
- GP Script and OSC
- Added GP Script function to create SysEx message from a string.
- Added GP Script function to get the song count and a song name at given index.
- Added GP Script function and OSC message to request the caption text of a widget.
- Fixed a crash in GP Script when handling OSC messages being received very quickly.
- More internal DSP improvements.
- Fixed problem where users on tablet-like devices running in portrait mode could not resize the ChordPro Chords/lyrics window properly.
- Fixed problem where audio tail length was dependent on the number of output channels.
- Fixed problem where program changes sent through MIDIOut blocks didn't obey channel remapping.
For the complete list of changes, please visit the 3.6 announcement on the community forums.
Users of Gig Performer 2.x can upgrade to Gig Performer 3 for a small fee. Please visit the upgrade area for more information.