Cockos has released REAPER 5.0 for Mac OS X and Windows, which features many changes including VST3 plugin support.
- massive improvements to video support.
- allow user configurable video decoder priorities with per-file-extension controls.
- configurable video output display latency.
- dockable video window.
- per-source option to not decode audio for video files.
- pooled audio decoders, reducing RAM use for heavily edited videos.
- project framerate is used instead of media framerate to determine display timing.
- projects can now specify preferred video width/height/colorspace, resizing options.
- real-time programmable (EEL) effect processors insertable as track and item FX.
- support for AVFoundation video encoding/decoding on OS X 10.7+.
- per-take FX automation and MIDI learn support.
- browser smart folders (filter-folders).
- browser options to view JSFX by description and/or filename.
- support for parameters with inverted ranges.
- VST3 support, including sample-accurate automation.
- inform VST plug-ins of offline rendering state, by default.
- duplicating Take FX copies channel counts.
- user-adjustable parameter modulation LFO phase.
- added option 'Play through selected track'.
- search in subfolders.
- improved accessibility/tabbing navigation.
- fixed various UTF-8 issues on Windows ..
- fixed issues when using preserve-pitch and tempo-match options.
- fixed MIDI/OSC action binding.
- integrated development environment (IDE) for running, editing, debugging scripts.
- IDE supports syntax highlighting, multiple editing panes, watch lists, structure matching, and more.
- integrated Lua 5.3 scripting support.
- EEL and Lua scripts can query various information (incl. MIDI/OSC input values) via get_action_context ().
- EEL/Lua graphics/UI API (gfx*) extensions.
- toggle state support (script toolbar buttons can have on/off states).
- increased automation recording speed by 3x.
- internal changes and performance improvements to FX parameter automation.
- more consistent behavior when changing FX preset.
- new volume envelope mode that mimics track fader scaling.
- sample-accurate automation support.
- added support for inverted slider ranges.
- editor improvements (scrollbars, multiple editing panes, Ctrl+Mousewheel font size change).
- fixed potential crash from gfx_circle () with bad parameters .
- support Ambisonic WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE .wav files.
- improved zero crossing navigation.
- improved tab-to-transient behavior.
- improved support for chained OGG Vorbis files.
- extra fancy new theme.
- many layout choices for different uses (small, large, meters, live recording, media, item).
- better track panel and item tinting appearance.
- language packs can specify scale for dialog windows using (for example) 5CA1E00000000000=xsc ysc.
- all codec (wav, video, mp3, etc) dialog boxes and related strings can now be translated.
- new template LangPack.
- configurable beat patterns.
- improved count-in behavior/quality.
- do not automatically enable MIDI vol/pan faders when creating MIDI-only sends/receives.
- note-off velocity support in piano roll and list view editors.
- added mouse modifiers to edit note edges ignoring selection.
- changed default note edge mouse modifiers to match default media item edge modifiers.
- optionally display project tempo and time signature markers in the ruler.
- updated default worker thread scheduling logic for lower CPU use.
- disabled anticipative FX processing on tracks with open MIDI editors, by default.
- automatically disable anticipative FX in routed-to tracks for open MIDI editors.
- new tab for managing FX parameter envelopes, modulation, and MIDI learn.
- fixed replace FX in project .
- fixed source/item/fx deletion and undo issues .
- improved touch-automation behavior for various check/combo/edit controls.
- improved ReaInsert behavior in many real world scenarios (PDC, looping, heavy load).
- improved display for frame grid and HH:MM:SS:FF.
- absolute frames time display mode.
- added theme tweak window (and removed outdated preferences pane).
- improved theme color tinting support (requires 'version 5' in rtconfig, themes can override tint/peaks preferences via rtconfig 'tinttcp' and 'peaksedges').
- scrollbar_2 and scrollbar_3 images can override scrollbar images for arrange and MIDI editor respectively.
- better behavior when changing time signatures.
- improved behavior when inserting/removing time in project (fixed auto-create of new time signature markers).
- improved time signature behavior when moving/copying regions.
- options to include envelope point selection in undo state.
- improved FX envelope undo behavior.
- added propagate take and propagate item actions.
- support for up to 512 channels of input and output.
- optionally include media explorer databases.
- support for VIDEO media type in Vegas EDL TXT.
- ignore mouse wheel on all faders, by default.
- full decode/encode support for OGG Opus files.
- removing time in one-track and all-track mode better respects timebase:beats preferences for markers, items, and envelopes.
- improved behavior when changing tempo map/moving items across tempo maps.
- up to 16 general and 8 MIDI toolbars.
- VCA slave track group setting.
- fixed color picker potentially appearing offscreen.
- added Envelope, Tempo Map, Project Extension State, improved MIDI and Toolbar APIs.